Sunday, February 17, 2013

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." ~Abraham Lincoln

When I moved to Utah from Florida, I was introduced to the worlds of both genealogy and scrapbooking.  Working in the print industry, I saw customers duplicating some pretty awesome stuff.
Their genealogy research was extensive and often times VOLUMES of work. Their scrapbooking endeavors that were given the same respect.

Both of these documentations of family life intrigued me and I set out to learn both. It wasn’t long before I realized that they are deeply connected to each other.

Genealogy research is the documentation of names and dates of one’s family and life events, whereas scrapbooking (though modern in comparison) is the beginning of a visual history of our family and some of those same events.

Anyone who researches and documents genealogy knows that it is a time consuming endeavor and …well… pretty much never ending. I have made great strides (having started with nothing). I will hopefully be able to pass on a good start to my children, nieces and nephews, and I hope they continue the documentation to pass on to future generations of our family

As for scrapbooking, it didn’t take long for me to realize the financial drain of paper scrapping. In searching online for information on how people streamline their expenses in this hobby (I could not afford to create in this medium with the cost of supplies), I stumbled upon an intriguing website.. and then another and another that were devoted to the world of Digital Scrapbooking. There were designers who were actually creating digital versions of scrap paper and embellishments! Whodathunk!

YOU COULD CREATE THESE FABULOUS SCRAP PAGES DIGITALLY… for a fraction of the cost or even for FREE

And so my journey began……
I fell in love with the process almost as much as the finished pages.

Mother and Son

This was my first digital scrap page back in 2006.

I hadn’t seen my son in quite a few years and he was able to come and spend a few hours with me. You can imagine how important those couple of hours were and how important it was to create that visual memory for us both.

Ya Ya