Friday, February 27, 2015

Handmade Paper Flower Magnets, LOVE!

The Challenge: Handmade Flowers and/or Recycled Items

Though this challenge should have been a cinch for me, as I recycle (hoard) everything in hopes that I can incorporate it in my art, the creativity part was the real challenge.

I remembered watching a video by Jennibellie, where she made the cutest ever recycled flowers. They are so easy, and so fun to create and decorate that I thought I would show you a project I made using the flowers I made.


Refrigerator Magnets

 I gathered about 5 different scraps of paper from my working pile and following the video instructions I  cut various shapes and sizes.




Using a Signo white pen and a Fudball black pen, I outlined the petals with various designs.



I distressed the edges with different colors of Tim Holtz Distress Inks. I wasn't very careful, as I was just trying to add a little color and dimension to the edges.




The next step involved cutting in between the petals a little and then gluing one petal over the one next to it; creating more dimension. I curled the edges of the petals back using the closed blades of the scissors and my thumb.



Now you layer the petals until you like the result (this part can take me hours...haha). Once I figure that out, I use Aileen's Tacky glue to glue the layers on top of each other at the centers.




Almost done... I have to decide which embellishment will adorn the centers of the flowers. Again, this task does not happen quickly and I end up with buttons,   beads, bling and mini flowers all over my workspace :) For this one, I selected one of the mini flowers from the Frosted Designs kit "Rustic Beauty"




For these others, I used buttons and bling for the centers.




This is how you make the flowers. I could make these flowers by the dozen as it is so much fun and I love the result. 




Can you imagine all the different ways you could incorporate these funky flowers in your arts and crafts?

I had an idea of how to use a few of mine and I want to show you how simple it was. 

How many of you get the new phone books with advertising magnets in them. I actually use them on my fridge. Well, why not turn them into art for your fridge?
Here is a magnet that's been on my fridge for a while.




I  cut this magnet into two circles. I traced the circles on chip board (3 pieces for each finished magnet). Because the flowers are dimensional, I had to add a little depth to the magnets. I glued the chipboard circles together with E6000 and then glued the magnet circles to them. Then, I glued these pieces to the back of the flowers.



The only thing left was to apply Mod Podge to the fronts making is possible for you to dust the petals with a damp cloth.


Voila!!!! Refrigerator Magnets

























9 comments:

  1. This is just so CLEVER! Pretty flowers and great use of those magnets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sue! These are so easy and fun to make.

      Delete
  2. omg, I couldn't believe how on the same wave length we are, lol I mean, like are identical twins separated at birth or something? Love your version though with the flowers, very pretty, I can see them all over my fridge!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandee. Maybe not twins, though cuz that would make you old as dirt :)

      Delete
  3. Tommy Jo this is my first visit to you blog...so Sorry: but I am here now to give you some bloggers love and love the flower tutorial and the Idea of reusing the magnet sheet . Never Know what we are going to learn.
    I will keep returning for sure and sharing...I have a wooden front fridge. So would have to give them away. Love from another Blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon. I always used those magnets you get in the phone book as is, so I love the idea that I can cutesy them up. Thank you for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. These are awesome Tommy Jo!!! Love how you've used these to make colourful magnets!! Well done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Von!!! Thank you so much for the lovely comment. (I am usually a blog slacker, but commiting to the Frosted Design challenges has kept me a little more consistent) :)

      Delete
  5. I love how fun these are! Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete