Sunday, May 17, 2015

Mixed Media: But, More Classical


A few weeks ago, I won a seat in Kate Thompson's Fractured Angelics class. I was beyond excited as I have admired her work for a long time.

However, ... there's always a 'but', no? I was afraid... as this was a whole new genre (style) of mixed media art.

I began painting just a couple of years ago and am barely becoming comfortable with the title of artist and I was about to embark on an art journey that stretches way out of my comfort zone.

I read the supply list for the class and realized I had nothing that was required (suggested), so my usual 'procrastinating self' put off beginning the videos.

Then one day, I decided to just watch a few of the videos to get a feel for what I was going to need to do in order to participate. I watched the Intro and I was already hooked. I already loved Kate Thompson's Art, but now I loved Kate!!!!

Using what I had on hand (only purchased one item), I dove in.

Getting the layers on

Adding color and charcoal grouping
 hoping to see an angel form

I defined her image a little
Well, needless to say, I was not happy after I added white acrylic to define her,
so I covered the whole canvas in white gesso and there it sat for over two weeks. I wanted desperately to create a piece that looked like something more than a cartoon, but now I realized just how inexperienced I was. That realization instilled the fear of beginning again.

Staring at that blank canvas for all this time, I realized what I was doing wrong. I was thinking 'mixed media' in my traditional sense and I needed to think 'classical' as that is the tone of Kate's work that I love.

After watching the whole Part One series in the course, a few of the Part Two videos and silently scolding myself , I finally got up the courage to give it another try.

Added color, some paper pieces and her face


She needed a halo
 Though I saw two wings in this painting, I have always believed that we angels on earth have only one wing that we use to carry another when they need us. I believe Angels get their second wing when they leave the physical word. Then, they need one to carry themselves and one to carry another.

I was a little stuck at this point , so I posted my painting on the ecourse Facebook page. Kate was there... (extending her single wing)... she commented and offered a suggestion that totally brought this painting to fruition.


Final and Completed Painting
"Ever Present ; Earth Angel"

If you have a few minutes, click on the links to Kate Thompson's pages that I provided in this post. She's an awesome artist. I have learned so much already from this class and I am ready  for Part Two.

As always, thank you for stopping by and sharing in my ever progressing art journey. I am loving the road I am walking now and I can't tell you how much your support means.

T

3 comments:

  1. Tommy jo. I have been following your blog on this Angel. It has turned out to be awesome. I am really proud to see some besides me that will jump into the unkown and go for it. Their is always a painting angel there to help us That is my belief..and I have had her on my side many times. I am going to visit Kate Thompson page and look at her work this really intrigues me...<3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really beautiful and you should give yourself a pat on the back, you did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This so beautiful. thank you for sharing your journey and it is so similar to what I do.. BUT just look what you did.. I will definitely look up Kate's work.

    ReplyDelete